Monday, November 20, 2006

The transportation gods are evil

I had a job driving a truck on Saturday. It shouldn't have been a big deal, but the transportation gods demand blood sacrifice and apparently they hadn't been placated in a while. I was in the Upper East Side on Saturday morning, so I hopped on a 6 train at Hunter College and transferred to a 4 or 5 at Grand Central. That got me as far as Bowling Green, where it stopped. Turns out that 4 and 5 trains weren't going beyond Bowling Green for the weekend. So I'm still in Manhattan. At first I thought that it wasn't going to be a big deal because I could just walk a few blocks back up to a 2/3 station and go to Brooklyn on one of those. Nope. The A was probably running fine, but it doesn't go to the stop I needed in Brooklyn, and the J/M/Z is so off my beaten track I didn't even think to try it. Turned out that it doesn't stop at my stop in Manhattan on the weekend anyway. The eventual solution to all this involved riding around on my bike.

No comments: