Wednesday, June 11, 2008

So un-metal I had to have it

There are a number of things I like. Two of them are cycling and heavy metal. If they seem like very different interests, it's because they are - I think that road cycling is one of the most un-metal things you can do. When I watch parts of the Tour de France on OLN and they have guitar-solo sounding music on the little intro and teaser bits in between the commercials and race footage, I can't help smiling. No matter what the music is, it's still men in tights. And none of them are Freddy Mercury.

I was buying some cycling stuff online, and one of those Google ads on the right-hand side of the confirmation page I got in my e-mail was for cycling jerseys. I'd been having a frustrating time trying to find something for intermediate weather, so I followed it and found, among other things, Metallica cycling jerseys.

I didn't buy it right then. I tried to resist. But the more the day wore on, the more I knew I had to have one. So I bought one.


Now when I pass yuppies on $8000 bikes, I'll be wearing lightning bolts. So they can feel less bad. I've refused to wear brand names or teams for a long time. But this is Metallica.

No comments: