Thursday, September 24, 2009

Over the last few weeks, I've tried to change the focus of this blog slightly to address a competition one of the big bike companies was doing. They planned to hand out some of their new line of urban bikes to bloggers who could commit to two entries a week for at least three months. I like free stuff, or at least stuff I get in exchange for doing something I do anyway, so I figured I'd give it a shot.

The contest is over and I didn't win. I wouldn't have chosen me either. The whole point of the new brand is that they're trying to depart from their image as a company making bikes for skinny, spandex-wearing racer wannabes. As a skinny, spandex-wearing racer wannabe, I'd say that I pretty well exactly match where they didn't want to go with the new line. I figured maybe I had a shot because while I've always been skinny, I don't always wear spandex and I have one bike that I ride in cities and have never raced. Not unpredictably, the bikes went to people whose stories are likely to be cute or inspirational. If I were running the contest, I'd probably have made at least half of the same choices.

Now that it's over, I'll be returning to the usual entries about whatever I happen to be interested in at the time. This summer it's been races; this winter it's likely to be skiing and going back to school. Expect some longish entries about Bhutan and Bangladesh in November.

No comments: