Thursday, September 17, 2009

Proselytizing, Maybe

My brother is in town this month and decided he wanted to borrow a bike while he's staying here. He's doing a Sub-I, a training rotation, at a few local hospitals and typically has to be at the hospital at 6am. Here in Seattle, the buses don't run that early often enough to be useful, or at least that was his conclusion from looking over the schedules. I lent him one of mine for a day until I could borrow a loaner from my friend Amanda, which he's been riding all week. Zach hasn't been on a bike in a few years, but he's been running, including a few marathons. I think it's interesting to hear about other people's experiences riding bikes, so I talked him into writing a paragraph for me.

Riding a bike to work has been a bit of a surprise. It's nice to have an extra jolt of energy to start up the day. It's also good to spend a little bit of time interacting with the outside world on the way there and the way back, even if I don't spend any other time doing so. I like that I'm getting some exercise, but maybe it's too bad that it's replacing that time with no worries. Instead, I'm worried about getting to work on time instead of letting my thoughts drift as in a long run. It's not meditative. Too many cars, lights, stuff going on. Sometimes it feels like driving slowly, sometimes like running quickly. Downhill and uphill, respectively.

No comments: